Our Brain Juice Approach
Through creative consultancy and design support, we worked with the National University of Singapore (NUS) on their mental health awareness campaign, #AreuOK. As the hashtag suggests, the aim of this initiative is to establish NUS as a safe space where mental health discussions are encouraged and members of their community are supported in their journey to psychological well being. After a comprehensive foundational meeting with the NUS team, we understood that we needed to create a visual brand identity that would be timeless and universal, so that this initiative would be able to make a recurring appearance year-by-year.
Our Brain Juice Approach
In developing our brand guide and design approach, we had to deeply consider how the logo, fonts and colour choices could help to convey multiple messages at once: that NUS deeply cared about all their stakeholders’ mental wellness, that people should feel comfortable reaching out to one another and that there were plenty of online resources or personnel that people could speak with.
The logo we designed (see below) made use of multiple elements that expressed the gravity of taking mental health seriously but also brought in a friendly face - literally - to take away some of the heaviness that comes from talking about serious issues. It was important to keep the hashtag in the logo as we wanted to encourage more people to keep the conversations going and this movement alive, whether it was through physical chats, virtual conversations or through an online content.
With the brand identity locked in, we got to work on creating the visuals, infographics and sticker packs. Throughout the multiple mental health subthemes, we made sure that the creative elements helped to contextualize these issues in the NUS setting. We didn’t want to establish distance between the viewer and the artwork - our aim was that people saw themselves and their friends reflected in the tapestry of the multiple visual elements we created.
To check out how these visuals brought the campaign to life, visit nus’ #AreuOK microsite here: https://nus.edu.sg/hwb/areuok/
- Led the NUS team through a comprehensive branding, envisioning and positioning session.
- Created a brand identity guide which included the creation of a logo (with different versions), font choice, color palette, vision and mission statement etc.
- Devised creative concepts to accurately represent the diverse NUS community through the creation and placement of jewel-toned pastel colored characters in most designs.
- Conceptualized and created visuals and website banners across three themes, while prominently displaying NUS elements and situating the context of these creative outputs within the NUS context. The three themes were: Empathy and Respect, Understanding Mental Health, Self-Care.
- Synthesised and translated a large amount of information into digestible and easy-to-understand infographics across some of these subthemes. The infographics were also designed to be used by managers in the school as a training aid.
- Developed a sticker pack, advocating various wellness ideals that was designed for use in day-to-day conversations